Monday, November 5, 2018

Vancouver, WA

By the time Halloween arrived, the sidewalks of Portland were buried under the leaves of the fading trees. During my transition to the new job, I took a week off from hiking but still managed to fit in a few adventures.

 

Rocky Butte is one of Portland’s highest east-side points. Located just off I-205, a steep road winding for about a mile leads to the top. Several beautiful homes are perched along the way. Acquired in 1988, Joseph Wood Hill Park sits atop Rocky Butte. The small flat area is surrounded by rock walls.







On a clear day, downtown Portland can be seen to the west, the airport to the northwest, and various peaks of the Cascade Mountain Range to the east. During a visit after my morning swim, the misty fog forged an eerie atmosphere. I have recently concluded that my beloved Colorado mountain skyline has been traded in for the exquisite PNW pine tree skyline.





On a free Sunday afternoon, I stopped in downtown Vancouver en route to visit Aunt Judy. Despite its location across the Columbia River in Washington, Vancouver is considered to be the largest suburb of Portland. I strolled down quaint Main Street to reach Esther Short Park--a 5-acre gem that is the oldest public square in Washington.



 



The Waterfront Renaissance Trail connects Esther Short Park to Wintler Park along a paved 5-mile riverfront trail. With gorgeous views of the I-5 and I-205 bridges and of Mt. Hood, this trail is a true delight. And the weather--low 60s and party sunny.













As I neared the end of the trail, a number of sailboats materialized in the distance. I watched intently, percolating with thoughts of learning how to sail... paddle board first, sailboat second?











Later that evening, Kyle joined me for a night out on Northeast Portland's Mississippi Avenue. We met for drinks at Sidecar 11 before seeing one of my favorite bands perform at Mississippi StudiosBirdtalker is a quirky acoustic folk band from Nashville that I first saw perform live last summer in Denver. I suppose that I am officially a groupie, complete with a signed vinyl record for my new turntable!


"Burn the scorecards, balance out the scales
We are one wind distracted by our different sails
Underneath what's detectable with eyes
Every particle's vibrating with the same life"
-One