Sunday, May 12, 2019

Oregon Health & Science University

May ushered in a delightful glimpse of the summer warmth and sunshine to come. It was tempting to spend all of my time outside. Ironically, however, I recently discovered my new go-to spot on rainy days; Khora Coffeehouse operates out of a cozy, 1904 craftsman house; easily the best neighborhood cafe nearby!


My last free weekend before starting a new job, Tom hosted a veggie barbecue for his friends at his family's property in outer northwest Portland (a 40-minute drive from southeast). The 30-acre forested land has been passed down for several generations in the Marshall family. Its refreshing and peaceful tranquility is the perfect escape from the city. One of my favorite Sundays of late!










 

While still working part-time at Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy, I took on another relief position at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). The well-respected, public organization is the only academic health center in Oregon. Having completed my pharmacy internship in the UPMC system in Pittsburgh, I am excited to return to the clinical setting as I begin my work in the hospital pharmacy.


 




















OHSU owns several hospitals and clinics across Oregon, but its main hospital is located in southwest Portland on top of Marquam Hill. The 100-acre campus is quite literally nestled within a forest--and it is beautiful. The view from campus expands across town to Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood, Mt. Tabor and Rocky Butte.





 


Transportation to and from the hospital is tricky, so I've been experimenting with a 20-minute bike commute to the South Waterfront via the Tilikum Crossing--a cable-stayed bridge that solely serves public transit, cyclists and pedestrians--followed by a quick ride up the hill via the aerial tram.

  

Located at the base of the tram, Go By Bike runs the largest bike valet in North America. The free service efficiently and safely parks over 100,000 bikes a year. The organization also offers repairs and operates the OHSU bike share program. It will be a long time--if ever--before I get sick of this commute.