Saturday, July 20, 2019

Pamelia Lake/Grizzly Peak

Last weekend, I spent quality time with my friend, Kyle; long overdue to catch up. We skipped town on Saturday morning, driving 2.25 hours on I-5 south to OR-22 east. The scenic drive became increasingly more incredible. I made a mental bookmark to return to Detroit Lake for future water/camping activities.

Grizzly Peak is located in the Pamelia Limited Entry Area of the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness, which requires protection in order to preserve the natural beauty. Consequently, a permit system has been put in place.

 

Kyle and I set off from the Pamelia Lake Trailhead at 10am, following Pamelia Creek for the first 2.2 miles through an old-growth forest. As usual, I was dumbfounded by the magical trees.

   

At Pamelia Lake, a trail junction for Grizzly Peak leads to the right, while bearing left continues to Hunts Cove and the Pacific Crest Trail. Before tracking right, Kyle and I relaxed by the tranquil mountain lake.




For the next 2.8 miles, the trail climbs 1,310' through densely forested area, providing vistas of Three Fingered Jack, the Three Sisters, Mt. Washington and Broken Top.

 

From the summit of Grizzly Peak, Mt. Jefferson towers over Pamelia Lake.


 


Date hiked: 7/13/19
In no rush, Kyle and I returned to the trailhead by 4pm. Grizzly Peak via Pamelia Lake is officially recorded as one of my favorite hikes to date, one in which I would happily repeat annually.

    

Rather than return to Portland that evening, Kyle and I continued driving south for an hour, ultimately setting up camp on a forest road in the Three Sisters Wilderness. I have much less experience camping than day-tripping, and am still working out all of the kinks (i.e., food/water, sleep, cleanliness). That being said, I stand by our decision and look forward to more camping trips this summer.

 
 

Kyle and I got an early start the next morning, driving a few miles onto Forest Road 1524 to the Pole Creek Trailhead (elevation 5,290'). Middle Sister (10,047') is the middle and shortest of a series of three volcanic peaks in the Cascades of Central Oregon, west of Bend. The 14-mile trek (4,500' gain) is a non-technical alpine climb. Neither of us could muster the energy for the full hike, but we agreed to attempt the five-mile approach (1,500' gain). From there, many backpackers camp at the Hayden Glacier (timberline) before climbing 3,000' in two miles to reach the summit. Travel is mostly on snow in late spring/early summer; late summer/fall becomes a rock and scree scramble.

 

The first thing that I noticed about the area is a landscape that has been changed by several large wildfires. Since 2002, 43% of the Sisters Ranger District has burned. I was glad, however, to see new vegetation--fireweed, huckleberries, grasses and wildflowers.

 

As the morning grew hotter--and the mosquitos became relentless--Kyle and I were ready to turn back after a few hours of hiking. I am eager to tackle these neighboring mountains soon!

 

On our way home, Kyle and I stopped for a cold beer in the Old West town of Sisters. Named for the trio of towering peaks to its west, Sisters is a vibrant, artsy community with a charming 1880s facade and small-town ambience. While we could have easily spent the afternoon in this friendly little outpost, Kyle and I reluctantly concurred that it was time to get back to the "big city." All in all, a great outdoor weekend that had me feeling rested for the busy week ahead.