Saturday, August 10, 2019

Smith Rock State Park

With work finally slowing down, a long weekend prompted a solo road trip to Central Oregon.

8/3-8/5
Red and I set off on Saturday morning, driving two hours south on I-5. Home to the University of Oregon, Eugene is a friendly college town located on the Willamette River. It became the nation's unofficial running capital in the 70s, inspired largely by track star, Steve Prefontaine, or "Pre." The beloved Duck athlete was tragically killed in a car accident at age 24. Hayward Field is one of the most famous track and field destinations in the world.







After my self-guided tour of the beautiful but deserted campus, I headed downtown to the outdoor Saturday Market. Here I found a wide array of local artists, fresh produce, live music and an International Food Court. I devoured a delicious Indian plate for lunch, followed by a fresh smoothie to cool off from the 90-degree heat!






















Back on the road, Red and I traveled 1.5 hours east along OR-126. Proxy Falls is an easy 1.5-mile loop on a dirt and lava-rock trail that highlights two separate sections of the waterfall.

 
 

Our next stop along OR-242 E was at the summit of the McKenzie Highway. Situated at 5,187' in the Cascade Range, the Dee Wright Observatory offers panoramic vistas across 65 square miles of black lava rock, reaching the Mt. Washington and Three Sisters Wilderness areas. The mountain observatory is located at the boundary between the Willamette and Deschutes National Forests.




North and Middle Sister





















Mt. Washington




































We reached the quaint, country town of Sisters after another 30 minutes on the McKenzie Pass-Santiam Pass National Scenic Byway. Dinner at Sisters Saloon.


Another half hour on US-20 E leads straight to Bend. It was on this final stretch of driving when--during a spectacular sunset--I officially decided that I would be perfectly content to "settle" here someday.











I finished off the day atop Pilot Butte State Scenic Viewpoint. Hike or drive to the summit just east of Bend for a grand display of the high desert. The glowing snowcapped Cascade mountains--Three Sisters, Mt. Jefferson, Black Butte, Mt. Hood--was a sight to behold.






















Following my epic hike to South Sister on Sunday, I returned to Bend that evening. Dubbed the outdoor playground of the West, the once small town has undergone an enormous population boom in the past two and a half decades. It is obvious why people are flocking here--and I secretly want to be one of them. Downtown, I popped in a few shops and feasted at Pizza Mondo just before a spontaneous thunderstorm rolled in.






















Before leaving Bend on Monday, I spent the morning at Riverbend Park on the banks of the scenic Deschutes River. I rented a stand-up paddle board, paddling downstream to the rapids and then upstream past the Old Mill District. I was surprised by the number of people (for a weekday) also out paddling, kayaking or river floating.

A weekend highlight!
On my way out of town, I fueled up on a healthy lunch from Mother's Juice Cafe.


40 minutes north on US-97 is Smith Rock State Park. This climbing mecca covers 650 acres and hovers around 3000' in elevation. The major rock faces are welded tuff or compressed volcanic ash formed 30 million years ago. In addition to thousands of climbs, the park contains miles of hiking and mountain biking trails. Canyon wildlife includes golden eagles, prairie falcons, mule deer, river otters and beavers.




The 3.7-mile reverse Misery Ridge loop begins along the peaceful River Trail that winds around the park's main climbing areas. Climb to the Monkey Face spire, and then up to the rim for outstanding views before descending the traditional route back to the bridge.

 
Mt. Bachelor, Three Sisters, Mt. Washington, Three Fingered Jack, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Hood






















I spent two hours at the park during the hottest part of the day. Temperatures soared above 100 degrees, but the views were worth it. Next time I'll be back with my climbing shoes!



At last, I completed the three-hour journey home via US-97 N to US-26 W. I drove alongside the mountain silhouettes in awe until high desert gradually descended into cool forest. I feel fortunate to have become better acquainted with Central Oregon after this trip, though there remains much more to explore!