Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Hoffman Process

Last November, I listened to the latest Rich Roll podcast with Toms Shoes founder, Blake Mycoskie. During the interview, Blake briefly shared his experience on a personal growth retreat called the Hoffman Process. I was intrigued. The past year has been a nightmare in a lot of ways, and has taken a toll on my overall health and wellbeing. Hours of therapy had initiated an inward journey to better understand myself, and this retreat sounded like the perfect opportunity to continue that journey; an ideal time to recenter and rediscover self love. If nothing else, I thought, it would be a week off of work in sunny California!


The Hoffman Institute Foundation is a nonprofit organization that teaches participants how to live from the positive dimensions of their beings, resulting in lives that are more free, open, loving, spontaneous, joyous, creative, balanced and whole. With centers in ten countries, the foundation aims to make the world a better place.


The Hoffman Process, founded by Bob Hoffman in 1967, is a week-long residential and personal growth retreat that helps participants identify negative patterns of thought, behavior and mood that developed unconsciously and were conditioned in childhood. Subsequently, participants learn how to transform these patterns on an emotional, intellectual, physical and spiritual level in order to make significant positive changes in their lives. As a result, participants gain the tools needed to remove habitual ways of thinking and behaving, align with their authentic selves and respond to situations in life from a place of conscious choice.


I signed up almost immediately after hearing about the Process, squeezing into a spot in the late March group. Both anxious and excited, I said goodbye to Tom at PDX on Friday afternoon. On the short flight to Sonoma County Airport, I was awed by the beautiful, lush rolling hills of northern Californian wine country.


White Sulphur Springs, the historic location of the California Hoffman Process, sadly burned down in a wildfire last September. The retreat is now held at EarthRise Retreat Center in Petaluma. Nestled in the hills, this forested oasis is a scientific and spiritual hub; an idyllic sanctuary to immerse in the study and practice of personal development and transformation. It is also home to deer, wild turkeys and turkey vultures. Steep trails lead to stunning vistas of the surrounding landscape, a stone labyrinth and garden.



I was stunned by how green the area was--like Portland, but with better weather. Rain the week prior had left the vegetation lush and verdant. It was truly a gift that every day of our retreat was 65 degrees and sunny. And at night, the stars. Needless to say, I was outside every chance I had.




My Hoffman family consisted of three teachers and 21 students. Interestingly, professions were not revealed until the final night, which helped us identify and show up as who we are vs. what we do for work. Our coaches were extraordinary and inspiring, adept in conveying the material and guiding each student through the Process. Every lesson, experience and detail of the program was intentional.



The first few days seemed to last forever, but my perception of time sped up as the week progressed. By the end, I felt strongly bonded to all of my classmates after battling our demons separately but together. It is encouraged to take it easy the weekend following the retreat--before jumping back into the routines and responsibilities of life--in order to continue processing and integrating the work completed during the week.




Out of necessity, our schedule was strict and immersive, leaving no time for technology or distractions. However, the full days were broken up with breaks to stretch our legs and connect with nature. In order to fuel our inward journey, three delicious meals were prepared each day, which were vegan approved and made with love.


I am still unpacking my Hoffman experience, though I can say that it was one of the best things that I have done for myself. Humans are imperfect beings, but it is helpful for me to understand my negative patterns--especially the ones that cause friction in my life; awareness is half the battle. I now have the ability to transform these patterns into ones that will better serve me in future situations. It is an ongoing self-care practice that I aim to continue with humility, gratitude and patience. As a result of the Hoffman Process, I feel more present, confident, spiritual, free and loving. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to reconnect with myself, and recommend the Process to open-minded individuals that are seeking change, freedom and love.