Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Summer Heat Wave

In June, I continued exploring new lakes and rivers on my paddle board, the latest being Lacamas Lake and Round Lake in Camas, WA.


 


That weekend, Tom and I tackled Mt. Defiance--the toughest hike in the Gorge.

Hiked 6/19/21 - 12.5 miles, 5,000 vertical feet - 6 hours



On the longest day of the year, the sun rose at 5:21am and set at 9pm. Shortly after the summer solstice, an unprecedented heat wave scorched the Pacific Northwest. Records were obliterated after Portland reached 116 F, underscoring the dangers of climate change.

I escaped the heat on Monday with a drive down the coast. Beginning at Netarts Bay, I travelled south to Depoe Bay and Cape Foulweather--prime whale watching spots from December to March. 



I flipped it around after taking in the cool salty air at surf spot, Devil's Punchbowl State Natural Area near Newport. Pray for rain!