Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Mt. Margaret

Every year, the August air subtly shifts as autumn creeps in. Nevertheless, I am always determined to make summer last as long as possible, squeezing in weekly hikes and paddles. My latest water adventure to West Linn's Cedaroak Boat Ramp is an excellent drop-in spot on the Willamette River.


Two weekends ago, Tom and I had planned to backpack in Mt. Margaret Backcountry. I was looking forward to my first backpacking trip, which would allow extra time to explore the area and experience it at all hours of day and night (unlike day hiking). We reserved our camping permits months ago, banking on the fact that August is usually dry and sunny. Unfortunately, however, we were unlucky with a sudden front of rain and fog.

Image

So when the rain and subsequent wildfire smoke cleared, I got an early start on Tuesday and drove back to the northeast side of Mt. St. Helens in Washington. The trek is almost 3 hours from Portland, which is one more reason to backpack. Mt. Margaret is an 11-mile (2,820' gain) out-and-back from Norway Pass Trailhead. This hidden gem offers unobstructed views of Spirit Lake and Mts. St. Helens, Adams and Rainier. 


The trail is narrow and partially overgrown, but beautifully lined with wildflowers and huckleberries. 


At 5,780', the summit is a rocky outcropping with room to wander. 

Image

As you can see, I was unlucky again as another patch of unfavorable conditions covered the area. What can I say, the Pacific Northwest climate is unpredictable. Next time, backpack loop in late July.