Friday, June 10, 2022

Blue Lake Triathlon

Portland finally began to warm up and dry out by the end of May, which encouraged the season's first roses to bloom.

  
  
  
 

My unofficial COVID hobby has been to train for a triathlon. I enjoy swimming and cycling, and tolerate running. A sprint triathlon is a good place for beginners to start; swim 0.5 mile (750 meters), bike 12.4 miles (20K), and run 3.1 miles (5K). Despite being a fish in the water, my biggest challenge was the swim due to my inexperience in open water; there is a major learning curve and mental barrier to swimming in the murky waters of lakes, rivers and oceans--especially when you're used to a swimming pool! Fortunately, I got in a few practice swims with a new friend from the OHSU triathlon club.


 


 

I felt prepared and excited for the annual Blue Lake triathlon in Fairview. My goals were to finish under two hours and to have fun. It was the first weekend of June, but the forecast looked miserable. However, race day ended up being just fine; temps in the 60s, overcast, light rain. About 800 athletes participated across a variety of events, including sprint and olympic distance triathlons, plus swim/run and bike/run duathlons. The event organizer, volunteers, and athletes that I met were very kind and supportive. The positive energy was contagious!


The swim section was difficult to navigate around people, but I found my way through (15 minutes). My first transition out of the wetsuit and into my shoes was longer than it needed to be, but hey, I'm a rookie! The bike ride was slow and steady along Marine Drive (45 minutes). My legs felt heavy on the run, and I was tuckered, but I pushed through (26 minutes). I finished in about 1.5 hours, 4th place out of 16 women in my age group. I experienced an immense feeling of pride and gratitude at the finish line.

 
 

Tom was there to cheer me on from start to finish, and to celebrate afterwards. We talked about what's next; an olympic triathlon? The sprint is a comfortable distance, and I don't want to spend all my time training, but I would also like to see what I can do. Regardless, it would be nice to sign up for another race later this summer when the weather is warmer... stay tuned!