Sunday, June 4, 2023

Pittsburgh

Tom and I recently became engaged and decided to move to Australia--in the same weekend. With such big news, I made time to fly home and celebrate with my parents.

Pittsburgh is a city rich in history and culture

I usually come home around the winter holidays, so it was a nice change to visit in May. The weather was perfect, and I enjoyed relaxing on my parent's deck. The trees were full and green, and the birds were very vocal.


A quick visit from Rita!

My parents spoiled me in the kitchen with old and new recipes. They also hosted dinner for my girlfriends.

 
 

On Wednesday, my dad left work early to go for a bike ride. The Montour Trail is the country’s longest suburban rail-trail. The relatively flat main line stretches from Coraopolis (along the Ohio River) to Clairton (on the Monongahela River). It connects to other trails like the Great Allegheny Passage and the C&O Canal Towpath--a completed trail system that stretches 300+ miles from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC. We biked 34 miles from Cliff Mine to Cecil Park.



I also spent time with Louie's cousins, Lucy and Phoebe. Lucy made an unexpected visit to the animal hospital for low blood sugar. She pulled through, and is on the mend under Grammy's care.

 

Living far from home is hard, but as I told my mom, it's two flights from Pittsburgh to Portland and two flights from Pittsburgh to Melbourne! 

Family is everything