Thursday, September 13, 2018

Cannon Beach + Astoria

My first weekend in Oregon coincided with Labor Day. The weather also happened to be perfect. Despite being unemployed, I still decided to celebrate, so my friend, Kyle, and I took off to the coast!



A winding, scenic 1.5-hour drive northwest of Portland leads you to Oregon's Cannon Beach--the tiny coastal town with the giant rock. The classy town is surrounded by expansive beaches, cozy restaurants, and art galleries.


Cannon Beach's long, sandy shore is known for Haystack Rock, which is a seasonal haven for tufted puffins. Additional wildlife viewing opportunities include bald eagles, elk (to my surprise), and gray whales (spring and winter).























Outdoor recreation activity abounds due to the multitude of vibrant ecosystems, from rainforest woodlands and wetlands to rocky shores.




















Apart from the beauty, the smell of the sea air was intoxicating. I am candidly excited by the fact that this is the closest that I've ever lived to an ocean. Though far from the warm, turquoise waters near the equator, the chilly, wild weather of the PNW coast is fascinating in its own right. If I end up sticking around, investing in a wetsuit and surfing lessons could very well become a longterm goal.























45 minutes north on Route 101 lies the port city of Astoria. Situated near the mouth of the relentless Columbia River where it meets the tides of the Pacific Ocean, the historic city was the first permanent U.S. settlement on the Pacific coast.


Housed in a 90-year-old cannery building on the waterfront, Bouy Beer Company has unmatched views of the incredible Astoria-Megler Bridge and the great cargo ships that regularly pass by. The vantage point can be enjoyed from a sunny adirondack chair with a fresh brew and paired plate. For an added bonus, a noisy (and possibly tipsy?) raft of sea lions hang out below deck!





















All in all, a winning place. In continuation of my theme from The Adopted Coloradan, I have begun a new list to record the state breweries that I visit. Bouy is #2, the first being Hopworks Urban Brewery in southeast Portland.