Monday, September 10, 2018

A Fresh Start

Greetings from Portland, OR! In this blog, I will attempt to chronicle my story as a new chapter unfolds in the Pacific Northwest (PNW). The previous chapter took place in Denver, CO, the details of which are recorded in Brews and Views (found by clicking on my photo in the top right of this page). I pick up my journey with the 18.5-hour drive from Denver to Portland...


I left Denver with a heavy heart, flooded by memories of the past 2.5 years. A marvelous sunrise over the Front Range marked the melancholy farewell.


Filled to the brim and armed with a free trial of satellite radio, Little Red and I split the 1,300-mile trip over two days.


We traveled first through Wyoming via 1-80W, passed briefly through northern Utah, and spent the night at a homey BnB in Boise, ID. The scenery morphed from mountains to desert to plains as we gradually dropped to sea level. This 12-hour leg was brutal, especially on the seat bones.



















After a good night's sleep, the remaining six-hour stretch was a relative breeze. My entire body filled with excitement as Red and I crossed the Oregon border. I also delighted in passing the Pacific Time Zone line, and in my first experience at a full-service gas station--Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that ban self-service gas stations.


The surrounding flora increasingly became more green as we left the high desert of eastern Oregon. I caught my first glimpse of Mt. Hood before weaving through the scenic Columbia River Gorge--a spectacular canyon that cuts through the Cascade Range.



 

I arrived in Portland around noon on September 1st, where I immediately signed a 12-month lease on a charming apartment in town. Let the adventures begin!