Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Thanksgiving in Denver

Mission: surprise Anna for Thanksgiving. I flew into Denver on Thanksgiving day while my mom arrived earlier that week. I was thankful for a quick and painless flight on Thursday, noting the pull on my heartstrings at the first glimpse of the Colorado Rockies. The train ride into town chased the setting sun over the fading mountain silhouette. Good to be back!



I spent Thanksgiving evening in the warm company of family and friends. I would like to take this opportunity to wish my readers a very Happy Thanksgiving.



The four of us went to Red Rocks on Friday. It felt great to be back at elevation. The air was cold and windy, but the sky was crystal clear compared to the summer haze that I left behind in August. We took advantage of the opportunity to walk around the stage area which is usually closed during the summer concert season.







 





Afterwards, we stopped in Idaho Springs for lunch and shopping.



 

Anna and I were bummed to see Mom return to Pittsburgh that evening, but also excited by the fact that we would all be together again in less than a month.

I had hoped to spend Saturday in Breckenridge with my girl friends, but it was dumping in the mountains so we decided against attempting the precarious drive. Instead, I joined Sarah, Anna, and Lexi for some light hiking on Lookout Mountain in Golden. The trail was rather icy, so we didn't make it too far but it was still nice to get outside. After, we rallied in Olde Town Arvada to start planning the details for our upcoming trip to Australia/New Zealand!





That night, I met my friend, Jordan, for drinks at Fermaentra Brewing  (#80 on my CO brew list). He also introduced me to the heavenly Vietnamese soup, pho.

On Sunday, I met my friend, Bri, for breakfast before bundling up en route to the Mile High Stadium. Anna, Alex, and I splurged on tickets to the Steelers vs. Broncos football game. The Steelers lost unfortunately, but it was still fun to support our home team and to witness the overwhelming amount of Steelers pride at an away game. I flew back to Portland late that night with a strong sense of satisfaction--mission accomplished!








I feel incredibly grateful for my weekend getaway to Colorado. It was special to visit one of my favorite places and to spend time with loved ones. Having left Denver only three months earlier, it seemed as if I'd never left--everything was (mostly) just as I'd remembered. It was not easy to leave for a second time, but I admit a sense of contentment in returning to Oregon. Portland it where my life is right now, and that is where I'm meant to be.