Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Live Jazz + OMSI

A recent stretch of dull weather encouraged me to get out on the town:
  • Pixie Retreat: organic, raw and vegan cafe with two locations
  • Back to Eden Bakery: a favorite plant-based cafe in the northeast Alberta District
  • Breakside Brewery: an excellent restaurant/pub brewery with three locations in town; known for its innovative, experimental and diverse beers (#14)
  • The Conquistador Lounge: dimly-lit bar adorned with a jukebox, vintage couches and Spanish-style art--and the go-to place for margaritas in my neighborhood

 

Last week, Kyle and I visited another McMenamins establishment at Kennedy School. Since its opening in 1915, the historic elementary school has been a beloved fixture of northeast Portland. McMenamins transformed the abandoned scholastic gem into a unique hotel with cozy guest rooms, a restaurant, multiple small bars, a movie auditorium, soaking pool and a brewery. Original, classroom-inspired artwork and historical photographs cover the walls, ceilings, doorways and halls.





A visit to the northeast Mississippi District is no longer complete without a visit to The 1905. This modern but intimate space offers artisan pizza, cocktails and live jazz music every night of the week. Colby and I were transfixed by the raw passion, talent and inspiration flowing effortlessly among the musical quartet. Time and money spent watching live jazz is anything but wasted.



Another great indoor activity is found at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. OMSI contains a large-screen theatre, planetarium and exhibition halls with a variety of hands-on exhibits focused on natural sciences, industry and technology. Tom invited me to OMSI After Dark, a monthly themed event for the 21-and-over crowd filled with food, drink, and science fun!

Overhead view of OMSI building and plaza

Holding true to my New Year's goals, I recently began volunteering with Growing Gardens, a small organization that uses the experience of growing food in local schools, backyards and correctional facilities to cultivate healthy, equitable communities. My first day of service involved sorting through seed donations and re-packaging bulk seeds into smaller bags. It was a great afternoon! I truly enjoyed talking with the other volunteers, and learned a lot about gardening in the PNW. I am optimistic that this is an ideal setting for me to participate in service work based on my personal/professional interests related to healthy living. Ironically, acting selflessly to put the needs of others before your own can be one of the most rewarding (and selfish) experiences a person can have. I am excited to invest more of my time and energy into Growing Gardens!