Sunday, January 13, 2019

Trillium Lake

January meant settling into winter mode. Despite having recently passed the winter solstice, the mornings are dark until 8am due to Portland's northern latitude. Apparently, the winter is off to a cold but dry (4" below average) start relative to past years--climate change. I may be singing a different tune come March, but I'm surprised how well I've taken to the weather here. Temperatures are still more mild than I am used to, and there is something to be said about the rain and its ability to... cleanse. I am also learning to appreciate the rain for its role in keeping the foliage green year-round. The overcast days would hit harder if the scenery were brown; the contrast makes the landscape seem brighter.

So, what to do in winter? I still manage to bike everywhere on my days off, including the climbing gym. Being goal-oriented, I find the sport to be very rewarding in terms of measuring progress. Plus, the culture and sense of community are spot on.


I've also found myself back in the dating game, which is conveniently helping me to check off bars and restaurants around town. A few recent finds include NE coffee spot, Guilder Cafe; fresh vegan cafe on Hawthorne, Harlow; Israeli inspired plant-based fare at Aviv; and eastside breweries, Upright Brewing and Rogue (#13 on the local brew list).


Despite my new "indoor" activities, I was itching to get outside when I joined Kyle last Sunday for my second round of snowshoeing. So it goes, rain in Portland translates to snow on "the mountain," which was made clear on our drive up to Mt. Hood. Kyle's truck, unlike Red, is equipped to handle winter driving conditions, which require snow tires and/or chains.

Trillium Lake is one of the best-known routes near Mt. Hood for snowshoers and cross country skiers. The Sno-Park is located just over an hour west of Portland, past Government Camp on Highway 26. The easy 4.5 mile loop has just one hill at the start. Kyle and I set off into the snow-covered evergreens around 11am. The trail is peaceful and quiet despite its proximity to the highway. On a clear day, a grand view of Mt. Hood opens up two miles from the trailhead. The air that day, however, was thick with clouds and precipitation.






Date snowshoed: 1/6/19
Kyle and I returned to the truck by 1:30pm, pleased to have beat ski traffic back into town--but not before stopping for après beers!