Sunday, June 23, 2019

Summer Solstice

Friday marked the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere; the summer solstice. In Portland, this means almost 16 hours of daylight, with sunrise occurring at 5:21am and sunset at 9:02pm. These long days provoke excitement for my first summer in the PNW. Hikes, road trips, food trucks, breweries, and good company; I want it all! Inspired by this, I added a new piece of artwork to my travel-themed tattoo collection with a simple Douglas fir on my wrist. I also honored my home town with an artistic map of Pittsburgh on my shoulder.

 



 
 
 
 

A welcomed day off last Friday granted a solo hike. Mt. Defiance is the highest point in the Gorge at 4,959'. Aunt Judy convinced me to have a second go at the grueling Mt. Defiance-Starvation Ridge Loop in order to experience the seasonal wildflowers. The soul-crushing, 13.5-mile loop (post 2017 Eagle Creek Fire) gains 4,970', mostly in the first few miles. Physical enthusiasts often use the route to train for other outdoor pursuits.

 
 

I hit the trail around 8:30am, refreshed by the solitude and the simple act of being outside. A brief but intense heat wave had just passed to leave behind ideal hiking weather--mid-70s and sunshine. I was captivated by clear views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams, whose peaks have begun to shed snow. A more detailed hike description can be found in my earlier post when I first completed the trek last September.







 







I returned to the trailhead around 3:45pm, surprisingly energized from the satisfaction of a hard day's work (RT 7.25 hours).



  


 
Date hiked: 6/14/19