Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Cherry Blossoms

Do not underestimate the power of jet lag! After close to 35 hours of travel from Nepal and an 18-hour time change, it took over a week to adjust back to PST. The first 24 hours were especially challenging. Extra time was also needed to combat reverse culture shock, catch up with life, and reconcile new habits with old routines. Patience and self-kindness.






















But I was excited to be home--and just in time for spring! One of my favorite seasons seemed to arrive early with a warm and dry March (aside from a freak "snow storm"). The days gradually grew longer as the birds and daffodils returned.

 

Cherry blossoms have a short season in Portland. Peak bloom depends on weather, but is typically between late March and early April. The Japanese American Historical Plaza at Tom McCall Waterfront Park is a convenient location for blossom viewing. The 100 Akebono cherry trees that line the waterfront were gifted by the Japanese Grain Importers Association in 1990.




March 17th, 2020
 








With planting season just around the corner, my dream of becoming a gardener was set into motion with the receipt of a plot in the Colonel Summers Community Garden. Having been on the waitlist since moving to Portland, I was thrilled to earn a spot in the nearby garden. I have much to learn--another test of my patience--but I have been met with a genuine sense of camaraderie and warmth from the community. My goal is to enjoy my new hobby rather than let it become a chore. After all, the simple act of being outside feeds my soul. Additionally, while I hope to yield all manner of fruits, vegetables and flowers, I would be wise to accept the possibility that nothing will grow my first season.


 

On the theme of healthy living, a night off from work allowed me to listen to Dr. Neal Barnard speak at Powell's Bookstore. Nutrition researcher and president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Dr. Barnard explained how food affects our hormones and health, as evidenced in his new book, Your Body in Balance. He inspired the attentive audience with his charisma and easy-to-digest material. A signed copy of his book is now the fourth in my collection of works written by my plant-based heroes.

 

In terms of physical activity, another unexpected curve ball has been thrown my way. March 9th was the third anniversary of "Survivor's Day"--a traumatic skiing accident that broke my knee and changed the trajectory of my life. Fully recovered, though never quite the same, I have not had any new issues with my knees until now; I likely tore my meniscus due to overuse in my yoga program. While yoga can heal the body, mind and spirit, it is possible to overdo it (i.e., a month of intense yoga training). Unlike the original trauma, I am remaining calm in rehabbing my knees under the guidance of my skilled physical therapist at Pedal PT. We are optimistic that the tear will heal on its own as I strengthen the muscles supporting my knees. Relying on low-impact exercises, I have delicately put on hold my 2020 goal to train for triathlons. Instead, I am focusing on light swimming and cycling, in addition to modified yoga at nearby studio Love Hive.

 

Finally, the last piece of news that I have to report on is Portland Dining Month. Every March, the city's top restaurants offer three-course meals for $33. This is a great opportunity to test out new foodie spots. Tom and I were not disappointed with East Burnside's Hey Love, a trendy vegan-friendly lounge. We also added Stormbreaker Brewing to my local brew list (#32).