Tuesday, March 31, 2020

COVID-19

The world seems to be holding its breath as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unfold. I admit that I initially doubted the gravity of the situation. After all, this is not the first life-threatening viral outbreak that humans have encountered. There is, however, concern for not having preexisting immunity or treatment for this virus. Consequently, I am doing my part to slow its spread as scientists race to find answers. I am also educating myself about cause and prevention of the rising threat of infectious disease, which I plan to share in the next post. Until then, I encourage everyone to take sanitary precautions to protect not only yourself, but others at higher risk; your decisions and sacrifices are much bigger than just you.

 
 

Like the rest of the country, Portland is currently operating under a stay-at-home order. The perception of time has slowed since the closing of businesses and schools. A vibrant spring season is arriving, yet the city resembles a ghost town. Individuals only emerge when necessary (i.e., groceries, exercise). Apart from those employed in supermarkets, healthcare and law enforcement, the rest of the workforce is either working from home or has been laid off. In this way, we've found ourselves in uncertain and unprecedented times. Trapped by physical isolation, feelings of loneliness, hopelessness and depression are sweeping the nation. Furthermore, the media, conflicting news reports and the likelihood of an economic recession have instilled widespread panic and fear. I recommend staying informed through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

 
 

As the bleak reality of the situation first sank in, I felt weighed down by lows level of energy and motivation. It was a tough cycle to break out of, complicated by the inability to look forward to upcoming trips and events—an unforgiving reminder that we are not in control. Yet I am managing to find my stride through virtual yoga and daily walks, which help me to focus on the silver linings. For example, can we use this time to slow down? Maybe learn to simply be with ourselves instead of do? Or perhaps invent creative ways to connect socially from afar? Many of us are lost without our routines, but I encourage you to view this opportunity as a blank slate to create new routines. If nothing else, let us never again take for granted the gift of freedom. In this moment, I also feel gratitude for my job in the pharmacy. Despite my ups and downs with the profession and our healthcare system, I appreciate that pharmaceuticals can be life-saving in acute circumstances. Though working on the front lines of this medical war comes with risk, I am more empowered to serve the ill than remain sequestered at home. Working at OHSU will continue to shape my perspective as we move forward in this state of emergency. So far, the hospital has been eerily quiet as we make room and prepare for the anticipated surge over the next few weeks.


I will close with a touch of optimism by sharing my thoughts on how to stay healthy. The main idea is to boost the immune system by optimizing the microbiome lining the gut. The best way to do this is by eating whole, unprocessed, fibrous plant foods. Also try to move your body, get outside in nature, lean on your social circle for support and consider professional guidance. Finally, maintain a strong and positive mind; when you put yourself in a high vibration state, good things start to happen.

Family is everything
I sympathize with those around the world that are experiencing extreme suffering. May we all find a calming sense of light, peace and hope in this moment of crisis.