Sunday, October 18, 2020

Out on the Water

Portland's fall season is not quite as colorful as other parts of the country due to our large evergreen population, but it still is beautiful. The short, cool days confirm the end of summer and the beginning of a new pace that accompanies the onset of winter.


Work at the hospital has been steady, but I am eager to begin exploring next steps for my professional career. A passion for healthy lifestyle and nutrition has inspired me to entertain a potential career in functional medicine health coaching. The current model of western healthcare is life-saving but incomplete/reductionist. I am excited by the thought of uncovering the root cause of disease, thereby encouraging patients to prevent illness through adopting lifestyle changes vs. dispensing pharmaceuticals to mitigate symptoms. 


 


My hiking boots are mostly stashed away for the season, so my free time is spent winterizing the garden, cycling and paddling on my new inflatable stand up paddle board. With the pool closed since March, it feels therapeutic to get out on the water. I am also making a point to read most days (lasted recommendation: Fiber Fueled) and, of course, make time for my loving boyfriend. Happy 30th birthday, Tom!

Frog Lake

Willamette River