Sunday, August 28, 2022

Bridge Pedal

Bridge Pedal is a non-competitive, community bike ride over Portland’s Willamette River bridges. A local hospital system began hosting the event in 1996. Today it is one of the largest community bike rides in the world. Cyclists can choose from several routes; we signed up for the 23-mile ride that starts from the Fremont Bridge at sunrise.





Tom and I met our friends Kyle and Kristen, along with 10,000 cyclists, on Sunday morning to pedal nine of the city bridges. Most are already bike-friendly, apart from the ones that connect highways. I was excited to cycle the Fremont and Marquam Bridges, which offer spectacular views of town. 




The energy of the atmosphere was contagious. There was food and musical performances, and the weather was perfect. What a fun event!



At the end of August, Tom's law school friends held their annual reunion in Sunriver--a resort community just south of Bend. I drove up Friday after work to spend the weekend with the crew. Last year, I was on a mission to maximize my time in central Oregon by cramming in epic hikes and paddles. This time, however, I decided to relax and go with the flow. On Saturday, I joined Alina and Steph for a paddle on the Deschutes River before grabbing lunch in Bend. That evening, I borrowed one of the bnb bikes for a casual ride through Sunriver, stopping to take a dip in the river. The weather was just perfect with cool nights and hot and sunny days. It's always tough to leave central Oregon.



Louie is delightful as always.