Monday, July 31, 2023

Farewell for now, Portland

This summer's Hagg Lake triathlon was a success. I found the hilly course challenging, and could not believe that I finished the olympic distance last year! I completed the sprint course in just over an hour and a half, placing fifth in my age group. It was much warmer and sunnier than last year.



The following week, I completed my annual trek up Mt. Defiance. It was a quiet Thursday morning on the mountain, and my first time tackling it as an out-and-back instead of looping around Starvation Ridge. I am not convinced that the Defiance trail is any steeper than sections of Starvation Ridge. In any case, I set a personal record: 10 miles and 5,000' in under five hours!


 


7/20/23

A few days later, I went for my last paddle at Lacamas Lake in Camas. It has been such a hot summer!

Surprise visitors from Germany! Christina and Michael

I still have a few trails bookmarked, but I decided that my last hike of the season was to be an all-time favorite--McNeil Point. As much as I love exploring new terrain, there is something satisfying about knowing your way around. I took the steep, shortcut route up the goat path, and pushed on past the stone shelter to Ho Rock.  I was surprised at how crowded it was for a Friday morning. Another PR: 10 miles and 3,400' in 3.5 hours.




7/28/23

In between adventures, Tom and I kept busy with wedding plans and moving prep. It was a stressful time, but the details finally fell into place at the end of July. Every day was an opportunity to continue clearing out and packing up. I generally love a good purge, but it was bittersweet to let go of my little red Kia and my bikes. We also shared a number of goodbyes with friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues.

Kyle and Dani

The hardest goodbye of all was Louie cat. Australia has strict pet import guidelines, so Louie will only be cleared to fly early next year. In the meantime, he will stay with his three cousin cats at Kim's house. I am optimistic that Louie will adapt to the changes and travel. Counting down the days until we are reunited!


I feel very grateful for my five years in Portland. I found Tom and Louie, a great job, and more adventures than I can count. I will miss the enchanting Pacific Northwest, and would be very lucky to land here again someday. For now, though, I am ready to close this chapter and begin anew. Cheers to new adventures abroad! Melbourne, here we come!