Tuesday, October 16, 2018

St. Helens, Scappoose Bay + Sauvie Island

Friday was one of the best days that I've had since moving to Oregon. It all started in St. Helens, located 45 minutes north of Portland on Highway 30. The small town is situated on the confluence of four rivers along the Oregon/Washington border. The riverfront district offers an array of charming shops, cafés and galleries. October is a special time of year to visit St. Helens, as the town celebrates its filming of Halloweentown and Twilight.

 

Mt. St. Helens in Washington can be seen across the Columbia River, though the volcano does not show up well in pictures (likely due to the small amount of snow on it right now).



 









Driving back towards Portland, I made a pit stop at Next Adventure's Scappoose Bay Paddling CenterGetting out on the water was the perfect way to switch up my usual hiking routine. And it was a beautiful afternoon to paddle. Though I wasn't able to paddle through the lush forests nearby due to low tide, I did have the peaceful water almost to myself. I even managed to spot a bald eagle! Investing in a stand-up paddle board is very much on my radar...





















Also on the way home was Sauvie Island, the largest island in the Columbia River. The northern half is a wildlife refuge and the southern half is mostly farmland. Douglas Farm is a fourth generation family farm, specializing in U-Pick fruits and vegetables. Pumpkins and apples are currently in season, but I will be sure to visit next summer for some of my favorite produce!





















Mt. Adams is slightly easier to decipher in photographs:





I finished off the day in Kyle's company with dinner, drinks, and darts at Church and Migration Brewing (#5). My kind of day!