Monday, October 1, 2018

Washington Park

After a number of dead-end job interviews, my spirits were lifted (and stress levels momentarily mitigated) in securing a part-time position at Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy. Pharmaca is a small retail chain on the West Coast that promotes holistic healing. I am excited to join a company that is aligned with my interests and values!

I decided to make the most of my final week of "freedom" by putting my search for the right gym on hold in order to maximize my time for exploring. On a low-key Saturday, Kyle and I grabbed our bikes and headed downtown. I had been so busy getting to know the east side of town that I hadn't yet crossed the river to check out the west side!




















It is hard to believe that I left Pittsburgh less than three years ago. Still, in that time, the city has continued to grow and change to where it is sometimes referred to as the "Portland of the East" or "Pittlandia." I am beginning to see why. Pittsburgh and Portland are likely more dissimilar than similar, but the hills, gray skies, and nine bridges over the Willamette River do bear resemblance to the City of Bridges--at least on first impression. More on this to come, but I found this comparison post to be intriguing for anyone interested.




Perhaps because it's all still new to me, but I find the city to be quite big (more so than Denver). Nevertheless, it is fairly easy to navigate on foot, bike, car, or public transit.



The climate is another adjustment. Oregon is not as humid as the East Coast, but certainly less so than the arid, alpine climate in Colorado. I am still learning how humidity affects temperature, but I suspect that is plays an important role. Additional factors at play include the changing seasons and my sensitivity to cold. Combined, I've noticed that I tend to still be comfortable in a sweatshirt when everyone else is in t-shirts and sandals on "hot" days.

 
  
Kyle and I enjoyed brunch at Mother's Bistro before strolling through the Portland Saturday Market. Operating since 1974, the marketplace is the largest continually operating outdoor arts and crafts market in the nation. Though not as famous as Seattle's Pike Place Market, it is a popular shopping destination for handcrafted gifts and treasures from the PNW. Live, local music and a plethora of exotic foods top off this remarkable weekend event in historic Old Town.


So far, I've found the community to be friendlier than Denver, but not quite as genuine as Pittsburgh.


Also on the east side of town is one of Portland's oldest parks. A 30-minute bike ride from my apartment was well worth the effort. Located in the heart of the city, Washington Park sprawls over 500 acres, which are filled with gardens, museums, a zoo, and a forest.

The International Rose Test Garden has over 7,000 roses of roughly 550 varieties. Founded in 1889, the Portland Rose Society's long history has developed into a nonprofit organization offering educational programs on rose culture and encouraging the use of roses in the landscape. Rose experts from around the world attend a one-day judging in June and select Portland's Best Rose from thousands of submissions. Portland is the only North American city to issue such an award.

    



It is easy to get lost among the long rows of rose bushes, each one more beautiful and fragrant than the last. Roses are typically in bloom from late May through September.

 

From the rose garden, I caught the free shuttle that conveniently links the various areas of the park. Hoyt Arboretum is Portland’s museum of living trees with over 2,000 species of trees and plants from around the world. With 12 miles of trails and scenic views, the visitor center mapped out an easy loop featuring redwood, fir, and oak trees.