Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Northeast Ramble

A quiet day off on Wednesday inspired a bike ride through northeast Portland. PBOT's Northeast Ramble is a 15-mile, mostly flat route on the Neighborhood Greenways (low-traffic streets designed for use by cyclists). I left my apartment around 11am, jumping on the Eastbank Esplanade. Tracking north, I followed Tillamook St. east through Historic Irvington, which is easily one of my favorite neighborhoods in Portland--a real contender if I were to stay longterm.


My first time on the Alameda Ridge, I was taken aback by the beautiful homes set against the city views.



In warmer and clearer weather, I would have opted for the side trip to Rocky Butte--a steep climb to a nice park with panoramic views. However, my cold toes (remember thicker socks next time!) had me circle back through Alberta. Rose City Book Pub is a new spot that is ideal for settling into winter and its shrinking daylight hours.




















I was back at my apartment by 1pm, pleased to have gotten outside during a short winter sunburst. It wasn't my first time cycling through northeast Portland, but I am enjoying making connections within the city's official greenway system.























I had to work last weekend, but I managed to meet Kyle afterward for a show at southeast's Aladdin Theater. It was my third experience with the small acoustic folk band Birdtalker, and they did not disappoint! Though I went for the opener, Nashville's Americana band Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors put on an incredible performance. Another great find for live music--that is just a short walk from my apartment--is Laurelthirst Public House.


"I want to see your sadness, I want to share your sins,
I want to bleed your blood and I want to be let in.
Don’t you just, don’t we all just want to be together?"
-Heavy