Tuesday, October 29, 2019

The Big Eastside Trail Loop

By the end of October, the blustery weather gave way to blue skies and temperatures in the high 50s; ideal fall weather. The days were notably getting shorter, but I felt grateful for the clear days with no rain in sight.


 
Happy Halloween!
A new neighborhood find is southeast's Coffee Beer, a light and airy watering hole with an unsuspecting vegan menu.


 

On Saturday, I spent the much-needed day off on two wheels. The Big Eastside Trail Loop is a 50+ mile tour of the eastern Portland metro area. The route highlights the trail system (with just a few stretches of low-traffic streets and bike lanes) and, despite its length, is very flat--even for my single speed!


I left my apartment around 10:30am, jumping onto the Eastbank Esplanade.


The overcast morning began to clear up as I connected to the Springwater Corridor, cycling south to the quaint Sellwood neighborhood, then east to Gresham. From there, I followed the Gresham-Fairview Trail north. The trails were empty of people but full of fallen leaves.


Tracking west, Marine Drive is a scenic but windy path that follows the Columbia River.






















I finally reached the lovely neighborhood of St. John's, cycling through the University of Portland, where I was afforded great views of downtown in the fading afternoon light.


Back on the Esplanade heading south, I watched the sunset before returning home around 5:30pm. The outing took longer than expected, but I felt accomplished in cycling further than I ever had before--such a high. I cycle most days, but always just a few miles around town; only recently have I began experimenting with distance riding. With hiking on the back burner for the next few months, I am excited to continue exploring local bike trails to get my outdoor fix. Plus, it supports my triathlon aspiration!